Instructions: Please read the instructions carefully and contact me if you have any questions prior to submitting your work.
After reading the chapter and reviewing the PowerPoint and supplemental readings on the course site, you should complete the following tasks:
Answer the questions below. Your responses should be about one, 5 to 7 sentence, paragraph per question set (meaning numbers 1,2,3, etc. should be about one paragraph in length.) Your responses should demonstrate a clear engagement and understanding of the course material, critical application of the sociological concepts/theory and should include clear grammar and sentence structure. Please review the assignment rubric under ‘Course Resources’ for clearer indication of grading distribution and let me know if you have any questions/concerns.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You should cite any evidence/information from the text or other sources (this is important, if you do not cite, your work will be reported as plagiarism)
- How is basic research different from applied research? Use an example of a hypothetical study to illustrate your point.
- Discuss and distinguish the three different, nonscientific ways of learning about the world around you (explained in the PowerPoint). Share examples of each from your own experiences and discuss one to two limitations related to learning about the world in this way.
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative research (give at least four comparisons). Discuss possible strengths and limitations of each type of research (give at least three of each)
Please use this link to upload your work.
Assignment is due on Sunday Feb. 20 by 11:59 pm.
Worth 15 points. Late assignment will be accepted, but deducted 2 points for every 24 hours they are late.
Note: Please only submit word docs or pdf files
!!!!DO NOT SUBMIT ANY .PAGES FILES!!!!
Chapter Learning Objectives:
You read these particular portions of the chapter, please click on the links below and you will be taken to that part of the book.
Chapter Learning Objectives
- Define and describe the scientific method
- Explain how the scientific method is used in sociological research
- Understand the function and importance of an interpretive framework
- Define what reliability and validity mean in a research study
- Differentiate between four kinds of research methods: surveys, field research, experiments, and secondary data analysis
- Understand why different topics are better suited to different research approaches
- Understand why ethical standards exist
- Demonstrate awareness of the American Sociological Association’s Code of Ethics
- Define value neutrality
For this week, you should review each section in the chapter reading and complete your chapter recap assignment and/or discussion board. You should also review all supplemental readings and/or videos that are provided for you in the module. Please remember that your responses for the chapter recap assignment should be approximately 5 to 7 sentences in length per question set (not individual questions). You should only upload word or pdf files (please DO NOT upload .pages files). Additionally, your discussion board responses are due on Friday (initial response to the discussion prompt) and Sunday (respond to at least TWO of your classmates posts). Your posts should also be approximately 5 to 7 sentences in length per question set (not individual questions). Please let me know if you have any questions concerns about the assignments.
Please find the assignments rubric under the ‘Course Resources’ module here: Link
You and also find book resources for your textbook here: Link
I am always here to help so don’t hesitate to contact me with any concerns you may have. Happy learning!!!