While you are watching an interview, make notes on the attitudes and characteristics that are important for good interviewing.
- Describe how the interviewer presents him- or herself.
- What are your initial impressions of the interviewer?
- What happens in the interview to cause these initial impressions?
- Describe how the interviewer greets the interviewee. What type of climate does the greeting establish?
- Does the interviewer control the interview?
Focus on the Interviewee
- What is the interviewer’s attitude toward the interviewee? How does the interviewer convey this attitude?
- Does the interviewer demonstrate respect for the interviewee? How is respect or lack of it conveyed during the interview?
- How does the interviewer convey empathy?
- Does the interviewer convey cultural sensitivity or the lack of it? How?