Please note the instructions below
ASSIGNMENT: The culture is Buddism
- Research the health beliefs and practices of a culture.
- Using the questions which follow this assignment, formulate a 2-3 page guide to the culture that a healthcare provider could use as a reference to provide culturally sensitive care to a member of this ethnic group. ( Please pay attention)
- Present the salient points. The presentation should be between 10-15 minutes with a maximum of 10 power point slides.
- Post both the guide and the power points
GUIDELINES FOR CULTURAL RESEARCH Power Point
- Describe the religious beliefs of the ethnic group which you have chosen.
- Identify the relevance that these religious beliefs have upon health care.
- Describe two nursing interventions that take religious issues into account.
- HEALING BELIEFS AND PRACTICES
- How is pain and suffering viewed by people of this ethnic group?
- What role do cultural healers play for people of this ethnic group?
- What special practices does this cultural group have around the areas of death and dying?
- How is mental illness perceived in this cultural group?
- Give two ways that healthcare providers can use this information in the care of a patient from this ethnic group.
- FAMILY LIFE PROCESSES
- What is the common structure of the family in this ethnic group? (patriarchal, matriarchal)
- What is the role of elders in this family structure?
- If a member of this ethnic group was hospitalized, how would the family handle it?
- Give two ways to approach the family as healthcare providers needing to provide health related information.
- Describe the cultural norms around the area of personal space for this ethnic group.
- How does the client using their native language communicate verbally and nonverbally? For example, describe the use of eye contact, gesturing, touching, etc.
- How would members of this ethnic group interact with people from the same culture; with those of another culture; with those in the health professions?
- Give two approaches that the healthcare providers could try to use when needing to communicate with a person of this ethnicity.
- Describe the significance of food for members of this ethnic group. For example, are certain foods eaten at times of the birth of a new child?
- What are some favorite foods of this culture and how are they impacted by hospitalization?
- Give two examples of how the healthcare provider can encourage healthy eating yet also respect cultural preferences.
NOTE: For each of the above areas, identify appropriate interventions to deal with the specific issues raised by the cultural considerations of the culture being analyzed.
Instructions for the paper
- Using the questions which follow this assignment, formulate a 2-3 page guide to the culture that a healthcare provider could use as a reference to provide culturally sensitive care to a member of this ethnic group.