This assignment is an essay assignment of four questions, 2 pages each to test knowledge and assimilation of the course objectives. The exclusive use of required texts and readings from this course is mandatory. Use proper citations and references as required using footnotes and provide a bibliography.
1. Explain what strategic military leadership is, and if and how it might differ from leadership at the operational or unit level.
2. Discuss how the issues of ethics and dissent affect strategic military leadership.
3. Defend or challenge the assertion that the relationship between strategic military leaders and the media is principally adversarial. Support your response with specific examples from the course readings.
4. Discuss the most important lessons related to strategic military leadership you have learned from this course, and how you would propose to educate future strategic leaders about those lessons.
Sources to be used: (please the below links in addition to the attached files:
Strategic Leadership Primer. Chapter 1-Strategy and Strategic Leadership, pages 3-9
Article Title Strategic Leadership Primer. Chapter 1-Strategy and Strategic Leadership, pages 3-9
Article Title White Paper – What Senior Leaders do: The Nine Roles of Strategic Leadership
Article Title The NFP Strategic Leader
Article Title Strategic Leadership Competencies
Website / Page Name Military Leadership: In Pursuit of Excellence. Chapter 11, Turcotte, William E. Leadership Versus Management
Strategic Leadership Primer, 3rd ed.
Appendix A. Strategic Leadership Competencies Monograph
Website / Page Name Colin Powell’s 13 Rules for Leadership
Article Title Developing the Strategy: Vision, Values, Gaps, and Analysis
Article Title Facilitating Guiding Principles
Website / Page Name On Strategic Leadership.” Joint Force Quarterly : JFQ no. 54 (Third Quarter, 2009): pg 12-13
Article Title Strategic Leadership and Decision Making: Preparing Senior Executives for the 21st Century. Chapter 6, Strategic Leader Performance Requirements
Article Title Beyond Words: Leader Self-Awareness and Interpersonal Skills.
Article Title Leading Change: A Model for Transformation Initiatives in Today’s U.S. Army?
Article Title The Man Who Saved Korea
Website / Page Name Moral Issues in Military Decision Making, Chapter 3
Article Title Breaking Ranks: Dissent and the Military Professional. JFQ, no. 59
URL http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps1059/www.ndu.edu/inss/books/books – 1999/Strategic Leadership and Decision-making – Feb 99/cont.html
Article Title Strategic Leadership and Decision Making : Preparing Senior Executives for the 21st Century. Chapter 15. Values and Ethics.
URL http://www.usna.edu/Ethics/_files/documents/Four Stages of Moral Development Thomas.pdf
Article Title The Four Stages of Moral Development in Military Leaders.
Article Title Contemporary Challenges in the Civil-Military Relationship: Complementarity or Incompatibility? – Pg 565-586
Author Rana, Raj
Website / Page Name Supreme Command in the 21st Century. Joint Forces Quarterly No. 31, September 2002, pp. 48-54 (7 pages)
Article Title The Military-News Media Relationship: Thinking Forward
Article Title The Media and the Military
Author Kaplan, Robert D
Article Title The Uneasy Media-Military relationship
Author Hsia, Tim
Article Title The McChrystal Affair and U.S. Civil-Military Relations
Author Owens, Mackubin T
Article Title Social Media and the Army
Author Perry, Chondra
Title Marines Make-a-wish
Title A-10 Female 4-Ship
Article Title Commencement Speech at University of Texas
Author McRaven, William
Website / Page Name Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It Why People Demand It
Website / Page Name Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant, and Alternative Accounts of Lee’s Surrender at Appomattox
Article Title Senior Officer Talent Management: Fostering Institutional Adaptability
Author Colarusso, Michael J.
• Scholarly and credible references should be used. A good rule of thumb is at least 2 scholarly sources per page of content.
• Type in Times New Roman, 12 point and double space.
• Students will follow the current Turabian Style as the sole citation and reference style used in written work submitted as part of coursework.
• Points will be deducted for the use of Wikipedia or encyclopedic type sources. It is highly advised to utilize books, peer-reviewed journals, articles, archived documents, etc..