- Introduce a psychological disorder that is of interest to you.
- Discuss the biological, psychological, and/or social relevance of examining this disorder.
- Provide a brief overview of the clinical attributes of this disorder (e.g., diagnostic features, prevalence rates, biopsychosocial impacts).
- Provide a brief overview of the points that you will address in your presentation. Consider using the belowfollowing subject headings to structure your presentation. Get your audience excited about your topic!
Part One: Biopsychosocial Considerations
- Discuss the biological (e.g., neuroanatomical, neuroendocrine) correlates of the disorder.
- Discuss the psychological (e.g., cognitive, affective) correlates of the disorder.
- Discuss the social (e.g., interpersonal) correlates of the disorder.
- Explain the implications of cultural variation on the assessment of the disorder.
- Explain the implications of cultural variation on the treatment of the disorder.
- Discuss the role of the community in promoting access to treatment for the disorder.
Part Two: Diagnostic/Evaluative Considerations
- Explain the strengths and limitations of the clinical assessments designed to evaluate the disorder.
- Discuss challenges related to reliability and validity in the assessment of the disorder.
- Explain the concept of diagnosis by exclusion, using the selected disorder as an example.
- Articulate how assessments contribute to diagnosis by exclusion.
- Explain the relationship between the publication process of the DSM, the contribution of research in mental health, and the practice of clinicians.
Part Three: Therapeutic Considerations
- Explain the strengths and limitations of various therapeutic approaches designed to treat the disorder.
- Discuss the relevance of non-pharmacological (e.g., complementary/alternative) approaches in the treatment of the disorder.
- Discuss the balance between “do no harm” and duty to treat.
- Summarize the most relevant takeaways of your presentation.
- Discuss the attributes of the disorder (e.g., biopsychosocial, diagnostic, therapeutic) that you want your audience to remember most.
- In what ways does the information you’ve shared enhance what we know about the disorder?
- In what ways does the content that you’ve shared contribute to our biological, psychological, and/or social well-being?