- Analyze the techniques and skills necessary to support effective communication and build professional relationships.
- Investigate strategies used to promote and sustain the quality of nursing practice in the healthcare environment.
- Evaluate the actions and activities which support the leadership practice of the nurse executive.
- Participate in the implementation of the role of the nurse executive in creating and maintaining professional practice.
- Evaluate financial, human resource, and strategic management practices as well as the employment of marketing techniques and the use of information management and technology systems.
- Develop a strategic leadership project.
Strategic Plan activities
- Literature Review:
- Background and Significance: Review the literature for background and significance related to the proposed project. Your final project report must identify the background and significance of the proposed project, using evidence from the literature to support the nature of the problem and the importance of addressing it. This section will conclude with a clear identification of the problem statement and purpose (aim) of the strategic project.
- Identification of Alternative Solutions: Conduct a review of the literature to determine how other organizations have addressed a similar problem, issue, or need. You are required to provide alternatives. This exercise will allow you to identify those alternatives. More than one alternative must be presented in your paper or you must address the lack of alternatives.
- Evaluation of Practice Setting: With the assistance of your preceptor, evaluate the practice setting as to how the focus area you have identified for your project presents in the organization. Especially important is information about previous efforts related to your focus area and identification of stakeholders, positive and negative. SWOT analysis (Links to an external site.) might be appropriate here.
- Role of the Nurse Leader: Consider the role of the nurse leader/manager in addressing this problem, issue, or need. Discuss with your preceptor competencies and strategies the nurse leader/manager would employ to move the project forward.
- Proposed Solution/Intervention: Propose a recommendation (intervention) informed by the alternatives you identified in the literature. Keep in mind that none of the alternatives may be satisfactory or completely address the problem, issue, or need. Your recommendation needs to be the result of careful analysis of the mission, vision, and goals of the organization in light of both internal and external assessments and guided by the evidence. Support for this recommendation should come from the analysis of quality and cost considerations as well as consideration of the patient experience. As appropriate, your recommendation should consider data acquisition and management, information technology, community impact/marketing, health care policy, and ethical considerations.
- Measurable Objectives: This section of your paper will conclude with specific, measurable objectives (goals) to be achieved as a result of the adoption of your recommendation. (SMART goals (Links to an external site.) might assist in developing your objectives.)
- Implementation Strategy: While you are not expected to implement or evaluate this project, your strategic project recommendation requires that the following elements be identified relative to the objectives you provided:
- A description of major steps required to implement the recommendation
- A timeline related to the proposed intervention
- A specific plan for evaluation of the project must be shared including how outcomes will be measured related to the proposed objectives.
Please format your final paper using the following components as headers to organize your paper:
- Title Page
- Executive Summary (1 page)
- The executive summary should summarize the key points of the strategic project plan. It should restate the purpose of the plan, highlight the major points of the plan, and describe any results, conclusions, or recommendations from the plan. It should include enough information so the reader can understand what is discussed in the paper, without having to read it.
- Introduction (1-2 pages)
- Background and significance of the problem
- A description of the background of the problem to be addressed by the strategic plan, including the significance of the problem/proposed project to the clinical practice site is provided.
- Project Aims (< 1 page)
- Aims are statements of intent*. They are usually written in broad terms. They set out what you hope to achieve at the end of the project – the specific goals of the project.
*Aims differ from project objectives, which are specific statements that define measurable outcomes, e.g. what steps will be taken to achieve the desired outcome.
- Review of the Literature/ Identification of Alternative Solutions (2-3 pages)
- Three feasible alternative solutions/interventions must be identified and supported with evidence/citations from the literature
- Review the peer-reviewed literature for evidence to support the nature of the problem and the importance of addressing it. Identify three alternative solutions/interventions; each solution must be supported with evidence citations (5 points per alternative solution).
- Analysis of the Practice Environment (1-2 pages)
- A description of the project setting – including how the focus of your project presents in the organization. The Use of SWOT analysis will be helpful in developing this section of the paper.
- Role of the Nurse Leader (1-2 pages)
- Nurse executive competencies and strategies the nurse leader would need to employ to move the project forward are discussed.
- Evidence-Based Recommendation / Measurable Objectives [6-8 pages]
- Based on the findings from the literature review, one evidence-based solution is recommended, described, and supported with appropriate peer-reviewed literature. Measurable objectives, stating defined project outcomes are provided.
- Implementation Strategy (1-2 pages)
- A description of the major steps required to implement the proposed recommendation; a timeline related to the implementation of the plan that addresses all key steps.
- Proposed Outcome Evaluation (1-2 pages)
- Methods of evaluating the success of the project are discussed using sufficient detail. Identify measurement methods that would convey project objectives have been met.
The final paper is to align with APA formatting requirements. Please see the rubric below for grading criteria for each rubric element.