Synthesis Writing: to combine the ideas of more than one source with your own.
Key Features of a Synthesis
- Report information from the sources using different phrases and sentences;
- Organize so that readers can immediately see where information from the sources overlap;
- Make sense of the sources and help the reader understand them in greater depth.
Preparing to Write your Synthesis Essay
You may be assigned two or more sources for synthesizing. In such cases you need to formulate your own purpose, and develop your own perspectives and interpretations.
- Present points that the articles have in common or disagreements, rather than offering mere a list of summaries from the readings.
- Find areas that you consider extremely important and state how the readings complement (or contradict) each other.
- Finally, briefly state how the new knowledge changes what you previously knew.