Please answer the following questions in complete sentences.
- What was done in boarding schools to Indian students to Anglicize them?
- Who was John Collier?
- Who was Booker T. Washington?
- What two things did Booker T. Washington concede in his Atlanta Compromise speech?
- Name three things to describe W.E.B. Du Bois.
- What did Mendez v. Westminster involve? What was the outcome?
- What are the features of Eurocentric education?
- According to Figure 7.1, approximately what percent of African Americans were in white southern schools in 1990?
- In general, why don’t white students speak up in classes on race and racism?
- What is cultural capital? How do students benefit from it?
- What is stereotype threat? How does it work?
- Which Asian American group has the highest income? The lowest? (Table 7.1)
- What is the primary reason a white or Asian qualified applicant will be rejected from a top university?
- What is minstrelsy?
- Why can’t art be colonized?
- Which doll are African American students more likely to choose, a white or black one? How do you explain this?
- What is blepharoplasty? Whom is it most likely to be performed on?
- What is Norman Rockwell best known for?
- Why was there so much outrage over the casting of Rue and Thresh in The Hunger Games?
- What is “Sexy Little Geisha”? Which company promoted this?
- Who is the creator of Achmed the Dead Terrorist? Why is he considered racist?
- What do the films To Kill a Mockingbird, Black Hawk Down, Three Kings, The Matrix, and Avatar all have in common?
- Describe the work of MacArthur Genius Award winner Kara Walker.
- What is a corrido? Why is it considered antiracist?
- What is cultural appropriation? How does the kaffiyeh become culturally appropriated?